UPDATE: The forums are now closed but current visitors may access all prior posts. A wide range of additional information on electromagnetic radiation and precautions may be accessed via the menu above.

Inexpensive Bed Can...

Notifications
Clear all

Inexpensive Bed Canopy to Exclude EMR

3 Posts
3 Users
0 Likes
(@naturefirst)
Topic starter  

Since we spend about a third of our life sleeping, and not moving about, this seems like a good time to enjoy the recuperative benefits of EMR shielding.

I have seen advertisements for bed canopies specifically made for this purpose. They look like rectangular mosquito nets, but are sewn from "exotic" fabrics interwoven with conductive silver threads. Unfortunately, these typically cost around $1000 USD.

Has anyone come up with a cheaper solution? Preferably using easy to find materials, and not too difficult to make. I am willing to sacrifice some efficiency for this savings. My main concern is protection from nearby sources of microwaves such as towers and modems.

TMBL
(@tmbl)
Eminent Member

I made my own canopy some years ago from shielding fabric and saved a bit, but it was still horrendously expensive.  But at least I was able to customise it to suit my needs.  I suspect your cheapest option might be to make a faraday cage out of timber and metal flyscreen with a door.  However, this is going to entail a lot of work, woodworking skills and tools, and a bit of nouse to ensure there are no gaps.  One advantage of a flyscreen shield is that the shield should not deteriorate.  The metal in the shielding fabrics (unless you get stainless steel impregnated fabric, I guess) corrodes and loses its effectiveness.  The fabric is way too expensive to be sucking up that sort of loss.

My opinion is that you need a fabric, if you are going to go that route, that has the metal on the outside, not encased in thread, so that it can be earthed, preferably to its own dedicated earthing rod.  I have tried sleeping in an unearthed canopy and it is worse, from memory, than no canopy at all.  This is because the low frequencies from your wiring get trapped inside.  Even turning off all your circuits may not prevent this problem.

My canopy has been a God-send for me and if I remove it my sleep quality is considerably worse.  However, leaving one side open, (where the RF is not coming from) does not appear to be a problem.

Another option for you would be to hang metal flyscreen on the bedroom walls where the worst frequencies are entering.  Not exactly a pretty option, though.

One thing to bear in mind is that all this surrounding metal is going to increase the room temperature, which can be quite insufferable in summer.

ReplyQuote
(@emrtechie)

Those are all great suggestions. A few years ago, I did some testing along these lines with materials purchased at the local hardware store. The following design seemed to offer a reasonable compromise between cost (about $60 AUD) and performance.

Two aluminised car windscreen reflectors were hung, slightly overlapping, upon the wall at the head of the bed. These covered an area to the floor of about 1.5 square metres. It is preferred to directly abut the mattress so there is little or no gap when the assembly described below is pushed against it.

A hole was drilled 5cm back from each end of two lengths of 20mm plastic electrical conduit. Nylon cord was passed through and pulled taut until each formed a shallow arch with its ends just clearing the sides of the mattress. Stood vertically, these were connected together across their open ends with 90 degree elbow fittings and 1 metre of conduit. Three parallel sections were added, one across the top of the arches, and one on each side midway to the bottom. These were secured by passing cable ties through horizontally aligned holes. Once completed, the frame straddled the bottom bed sheet, with the cord resting on top.

A continuous piece of aluminum fly screen was then overlaid to form a hoop "tent" using short screws and plastic washers. An additional piece was placed beneath a padded mattress protector. Even though the completed shield was not all-enclosing, at the time it resulted in 20 to 30 fold reduction in RF exposure to the head and upper torso. Given that the end you enter into is open, it is important to ensure that no major source of RF exists in that direction.

The above design is provided for general information only. As individual circumstances may vary, the reader is advised rely upon their own inquiries prior to any application of same.

This post was modified 5 years ago by ES

ReplyQuote
Share:

You are not alone. According to experts, over 35% of the world’s population feels some form of unwanted reaction to EMR exposure. Additionally, everyone is susceptible to induced biological abnormalities that may not manifest perceptibly for years or even decade.